EndNote is a bibliographic software licensed by the University of Minnesota, Morris Briggs Library for use by current Morris students, staff, and faculty. When an employee or student leaves UMM, they are instructed to uninstall EndNote from their computer.
Individuals may download and install EndNote on up to three locations. The EndNote program cannot be installed on flash drives. A copy of your EndNote Library can be saved to your portable storage device by going to File in your EndNote library and then choosing Save a Copy. Use EndNote to search online databases, organize references, and create bibliographies. You can even insert citations directly into your manuscript using the Cite While You Write tool. It all starts with creating libraries and then building your reference sources around specific topics or projects. When you're ready to generate a bibliography or insert footnotes in your paper, EndNote will have thousands of citation and journal styles for you to choose from. You can also customize EndNote to reflect the databases and styles that are of the most use.
For your convenience, EndNote is installed on all Morris computer lab machines. The current downloadable version for Windows is EndNote X9. The current downloadable version for Mac is EndNote X9.
How Do I Learn More?
Check out the following EndNote X9 Video Tutorials.
You can also read the EndNote X9 Quick Reference Guide for Windows or the Endnote X9 Quick Reference Guide for the Mac. If you still have questions please Ask a Librarian. You can also troubleshoot problems by searching the EndNote Knowledgebase.
What are the System Requirements and Compatibility?
Note: The EndNote Direct Export Helper does not work using Chrome or Safari on a Mac OSX system. Try using the Firefox browser instead.
Windows [Endnote X9 now available!]
Mac [Endnote X9 now available!]
Note: Do not install as an administrator.
EndNote Mac Install Instructions
1) Download Endnote X9 for the Mac
2) Click on Mac EndNote file
3) Choose "Save File"
4) Double click on EndNote X9 image icon to install Endnote to the Apps folder
5) Choose "Open"
6) Click "Install"
7) Click "Next" after the Welcome to Endnote X9 screen
8) Click "Next"
9) Click "Done"
10) Optional: Set up an Endnote Web account. This makes it easy to share your library and keep it in sync if using multiple computers .
If you are upgrading from an earlier EndNote version it is highly recommended, but not required, that you uninstall any earlier version of EndNote before installing EndNote. If you have custom styles, import filters, and connection files, you will want to back them up. If you install the new version without uninstalling the existing one, you will be given options on what to do with your custom EndNote files. Upgrading will NOT delete your EndNote Libraries.
To update EndNote after you have installed the currently available downloadable version and gain any added enhancements, simply click on Help from your EndNote Library screen and then EndNote Program Updates. Follow the steps. Your EndNote library and styles will remain intact. Go to Available Software Updates for Endnote to see what the latest version is that is available.
EndNote Output Styles
If you didn't do a custom install of the EndNote program it is recommended that you download and install the complete set of EndNote Output Styles. Go to: Endnote Output Styles and click on "Download All Styles" or browse for a particular style. Copy the styles into your C:\Program Files (x86)\ Endnote X9\Styles folder.
EndNote Import Filters
Applications: EndNote: Filters
Database Import/Export Instructions
EndNote import/export filter instructions for the PC help navigate the times when you have to export a citation from a database and then import the file into EndNote.
The iPad EndNote app is now available.
Syncing Multiple Endnote Libraries
It is possible to sync multiple Endnote libraries on different machines using Endnote X7.1 or later. Watch the Endnote sync tutorial to see how.
- First, go to Endnote Web and click on "Create a Account".
- Then, in your current Endnote Library click on -->Edit, and then-->Preferences, followed by-->Sync. Input the email address and password you used when creating your Endnote Web account in the fields provided. Then click "Enable Sync". This will sync your desktop Library with the Web version that you can share. You will be prompted to type in your Endnote Web account info.
- Click "OK".
Endnote Library Sharing
Users of Endnote X7.2 or later can share their Endnote Library with up to 14 other Endnote Web users. Watch the Endnote sharing tutorial to see how.
- In your Endnote Web account click the Organize tab which will display the Manage My Groups page.
- Find the group you wish to share and check the Share checkbox.
- Click the Manage Sharing button.
- Enter up to 1,000 e-mail addresses separating each address by pressing the Enter or Return key. You can also provide a text file containing e-mail addresses separated by commas using the Browse button.
- Select the Read only or Read & Write access option.
- Click the Apply button.
- Repeat steps 4-6 to add users with a different access option.
If you are experiencing problems installing EndNote or have questions concerning its use please contact librarians Peter Bremer or Kellie Meehlhause. EndNote also provides a useful online resource called Knowledge Base that may list an answer to the issue you're dealing with.
EndNote Demonstration Sessions
Periodically throughout the academic year Briggs Library offers hands-on Endnote sessions in the library computer lab. Please watch for email announcements as well as other library news releases.