Giving To Rodney A. Briggs Library
Rodney A. Briggs Library actively seeks and welcomes donations. Financial contributions, given through membership in the Rodney A. Briggs Library Associates or directly to the library through University of Minnesota, Morris and the University of Minnesota, Foundation, are used to purchase books, journals, and other learning resources, equipment, and furnishings or are placed in a fund for anticipated library building renovation.
The library also welcomes gifts in kind that enrich the existing collection and physical facility. Over the years, gifts of books and other items have been given and have been much appreciated and used by students, staff, faculty, and community residents. Faculty members preparing for retirement from the University of Minnesota, Morris and gifts from community residents have added wonderful resources to the collection.
Individuals wishing to donate gift in kind items may contact Briggs Library Director LeAnn Dean to discuss the donation and coordinate the transfer of the gift. The library’s gift policy includes the following considerations.
- Materials should enhance existing collections or support the teaching and research programs of the University of Minnesota, Morris.
- Materials are accepted with the proviso that the library becomes the sole owner of the donated material and therefore determines retention, location, and cataloging procedures.
- When the library cannot use donated materials, it will often arrange to send them to other institutions or may sell them and use the income for the benefit of the library.
- Federal regulations do not permit the library to give appraisals or estimates of value. Upon request the libraries will provide a list of independent appraisers for consideration by the donor. The library director or director of fund development are available for further information regarding tax implications for gifts.
- The library will issue a letter of acknowledgment describing the quantity and type of materials donated by the end of the calendar year.
- The library will assist donors by picking up their donations, if such a pick-up is feasible.
- When the type of material makes it feasible, bookplates or other acknowledgments of the name of the donor will be affixed to the items donated.
All gifts of materials support the mission of libraries and are greatly appreciated.